Have you ever heard about Acupuncture Facial? Have you tried it? MyTopFace experts always looking for something new, unusual, and interesting. MyTopFace has already tried over a dozen different types of facials from something really fast and simple to sophisticated and medical facials.
Recently we had a pleasure to meet and speak with Dr. Travall Croom who runs Ameliorative Therapies and specializes in Acupuncture, Facials, and Orthopedics. Dr. Travall has worked many celebrities from actors to Victorias Secret models and helped them to get perfect, young looking, and naturally glowing faces through acupuncture.
– Dr. Travall what is your medical background?
I have a Doctorate in Acupuncture, and also hold a Masters in Acupuncture with a specialty in Sports Medicine and Orthopedics.
– Why/How did you decide acupuncture as your main work?
I started training in martial arts at the age of nine, and have continued training for most of my life. In some of the systems that I trained in, we would learn to hit certain points on the body, to achieve a certain response. This always intrigued me to learn more about acupuncture.
When I would research the histories of each system I studied, I found that most of the old time “masters” of the fighting arts, were also the village doctors. Their belief is that “before you learn to hurt the body, you need to know how to heal it.”
– Some people think that acupuncture is painful – can you tell us about that?
When most think about needles in general, they envision two situations that some would consider painful; getting a vaccination or getting their blood drawn. The needles used in acupuncture are extremely small and almost completely painless when compared to the hypodermic needles used. In fact, you are able to fit several acupuncture needles into the hole of a hypodermic needle.
– Acupuncture is mostly known as a procedure to treat health issues, how do you make clients understand that it can also be done for beauty reasons?
A simple way to view “aging” is to see it as a decrease in circulation. As we get older, our bodies become less efficient in moving things from point A, to point B. As a result, our skin does not renew as quickly, and we start to lose muscle function and bone mass.
I explain that by having regular acupuncture treatments, we are able to improve the circulation and functionality of the body. These same improvements are seen as a younger looking appearance when they are applied to the face.
– What is Acupuncture Facial?
An acupuncture facial involves the insertion of tiny acupuncture needles into specific locations of the face to lift and tone the face naturally.
– Is it a different service to Acupuncture that is done on other body parts or it works the same way?
To me, the services are very similar, but my approach and needle locations are very different from those traditionally taught or practiced, by the most acupuncturist. I view the facial as an orthopedic treatment, because, I am addressing skin, connective tissue, muscles, bones, and improving circulation. My needle locations are based on each facial muscle’s motor point. A motor point is a junction where the motor nerve innervates a muscle to do its action. I use these points to relax tight muscles and to tone those that have become weakened.
– What are the benefits of Acupuncture facial?
– Relaxing tight muscles that cause wrinkles
– Activating and toning muscles that are weak causing folds to appear
– Stimulates collagen production
– Improves the circulation in the face
– How to prepare for the procedure? Is there any do’s and don’t’s?
There isn’t anything that the client really has to do, besides show up with a clean face. I do recommend that they stay hydrated and drink enough water. If they have had Botox or fillers recently, they should wait 2 weeks before they come in for a facial acupuncture treatment.
– What are the steps of the procedure?
My facial acupuncture treatment takes a synergistic approach. Each step of the facial is a standalone treatment in and of itself, but I have found that layering the treatments together compound the effects of each.
- I first apply a serum that I make from an herbal extraction. This serum hydrates the skin and stimulates it to produce collagen.
- Facial acupuncture needles are then inserted. The needles, relax tight muscles and activate weak ones. They also improve the circulation to the face and stimulate collagen production.
- While the facial needles are in, I then add low light therapy to the treatment. The wavelengths of light used, improve circulation and stimulate collagen production.
- After the needles and lights are removed, I then apply a specialized microcurrent treatment to the face. This treatment also relaxes and tones muscles, while stimulating collagen production.
- I end the treatment with facial cupping. The facial cupping pulls blood through all the layers of the face, releases any adhesions in the connective tissue, and drains any excess fluid that may be present in the face.
– How long does the whole procedure take?
The full facial treatment takes 1 hour.
– What is the best time for the facial?
Since the facial is so relaxing, most love to get the treatment at the end of the day.
In most event prep situations, I put a weekly treatment schedule together with the client so that their face is peaking a couple of days before the event date.
– How many procedures needed to get a visible result?
It is possible to see a lift, and a change in skin tone after only one treatment, and can this can last from three to seven days, depending on the person. It usually takes 12 sessions for these results to become more permeate.
– How often can you do Acupuncture facial?
Facial acupuncture can be performed several times a week, I just recommend skipping at least one day in between each treatment.
After Acupuncture Facial visit MyTopFace expert reported -“Before the procedure, I was a little worried, I never did acupuncture before and needles in the face looked a bit scary. When I met Dr. Travall and asked him about the pain and needles he explained how the procedure works and demonstrated one needle – I did not realize that the needle was in my skin already! Upon 15 or 20 more needles in my face and few on the head (scalp) area, I was already thinking about making the next appointment.
The whole procedure takes about an hour, during which you lay down on a very comfortable chair/bed, with dimmed lights, gentle music, and aromatic scents. The whole experience is very calming, after the procedure, I felt peaceful and relaxed. While Dr. Travall is working you can feel his professionalism and experience, he really knows where to put that needle to provide the result you want.
The skin on the face felt fresh and lifted even after a week, the whole experience can be compared with a relaxing massage or day at a spa”.