In the last few years, there has been a double-lettered alphabetical progression in the world of flawless beauty. From the introductory magical formulations of BB creams, the cosmetic industry has graduated to the use of CC creams only to see the advent of the new cosmetic research scholar DD creams!!
WHAT IS A BB CREAM?
A BB cream stands for blemish balm, blemish base or beblesh balm or the more popular term beauty balm. It helps correct and cover blemishes and scars giving an even skin tone and is also an all-in-one formulation for coverage, SPF & anti-oxidants. Developed in Germany, BB creams with their skin whitening properties were an initial rage in Asia from where they entered the US and UK markets. Estee Lauder, Dior, Garnier Skin Naturals, Rimmel London, etc were pioneers in the BB segment.
WHAT IS A CC CREAM?
A CC cream stands for color control or color correcting. Hence, a CC cream gives an even skin tone both therapeutically and cosmetically by using mineral pigments with light-diffusing particles and usually with higher SPF. Pioneers in the CC market include Chanel, L’oreal, Olay, Clinique and Rachel K and Mary Kay Cosmetics.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BB AND CC CREAMS:
- A BB cream provides all benefits of serum, moisturizer, primer, foundation and sun block while a CC cream also has the same properties with enhanced focus on skin care.
- A BB cream aims to provide light coverage for skin imperfections, such as scars and blemishes while a CC cream is mainly to address issues like redness or sallow look of the skin with added skin care.
- A BB cream is much lighter than a foundation but slightly heavier than a tinted moisturizer. A CC cream, on the other hand, has slightly heavier finish.
- A BB cream is usually oily while a CC cream gives a less oily, matte look.
- A BB cream is used mostly as a supplement to anti-aging creams or serums while CC creams have more collagen boosters so, apart from color correction they help heal the skin.
HOW AND WHEN TO USE WHAT?
- For redness and freckles, a CC cream should be used.. Olay Total Effects 7 has a range of CC with an SPF of 15. On the other hand, L’oreal New NUDE MAGIQUE CC cream has anti-redness properties.
- For blemish-prone skin, a BB cream is a better alternative. Dr. Jart + Black Label Detox BB beauty balm, for example, has blemish-covering and blemish reducing properties.
- For oily skin, a CC skin is a better alternative. A BB cream is more oily whereas a CC cream gives a matte look. Gosh CC cream foundation gives a range of matte look CC creams. Apart from this, one can choose from a wide variety of brands with given consistency on product information.
- For an anti-aging option, a CC cream is a better alternative. Olay Regenerist CC is one such good option.
- For sun protection, Kate Somerville IllumiKate CC cream has a very high SPF of about 50+.
Thus, the cosmetic industry is in a state of revolution of sorts what with a DD cream (after BB and CC cream) making headway in the beauty bastions! All we need is to match our requirement to the innumerable choices available.